Piercing, face and body
Here at OC MedDerm, Dr. Shafa can perform any type of piercing you desire. We can also close the holes of a previous piercing permanently if desired. . Per your request, re-piercing and repositioning of an old piercing can easily be accomplished as well. Dr. Shafa is also an expert in repairing earlobes that have torn due to repetitive heavy earring and jewelry use.
Why you should have your piercing done by Dr. Shafa?
- Knowledge of the skin and body anatomy is imperative: Dr. Shafa has a level of education and experience with the anatomy of the skin and body that can only be attained by a dermatologist. She is detail oriented and piercing will be performed precisely into the correct layer and angle of the skin or cartilage.
- Sterile procedure: At our office, piercings will be performed under the highest level of strict and sterile conditions. The same conditions under which we perform our skin surgeries.
- Pain free procedure: For all of our procedures we will anesthetize the area prior to piercing in order to ensure minimal pain and discomfort. This allows for an accurate and careful piercing to be performed as you will experience little to no discomfort.
- No infection: A piercing is initially an open sore. Any time the skin barrier is broken, bacteria can later invade its deeper layers, triggering an infection. In the unlikely case that this occurs you may see the doctor for a complementary follow up where, if needed, a prescription will be given, and occasionally free oral antibiotics will be provided if necessary.
- Keloid avoidance: Keloids are an overgrowth of scar tissue which occur when skin is healing from an “injury”, such as a piercing or a tattoo. Certain people are at higher risk of forming keloids at the site of skin injuries. When you meet us for piercing, you will be medically evaluated to explore your risk for keloid. You will be informed about all the risks and benefits of piercing prior to the procedure.
- Keloid prevention and treatment: If you start developing keloids at the site of a piercing or you have a keloid from the past, especially on or near the ears, you can see us for keloid prevention and treatment.
- Steril tools: All of our tools used for our piercing procedures are disposable or sterilized at high temperatures in an autoclave. Dr. Shafa performs all types of piercings with specialized needles. Per patient request, a piercing gun can be used as well.
- Herpes prevention and treatment: If you have history of any type of herpes including fever blisters, you might have a recurrent breakout following a piercing. At our medical office we will treat if you experience a herpes breakout after your procedure. We can also perform preventative treatment if it is needed based on a review of your medical history.
- High risk candidates: Such as a candidate with diabetes or an autoimmune disorder: If you have any medical illnesses you are at higher risk for complications following a piercing, such as infection. Pre-existing health problems do not eliminate your ability to heal normally from a piercing but we will perform a review your medical history to determine if any particular precautions should be taken.
- Art and science: Dr. Shafa has a passion and talent for both art and science. What she does everyday, is the merging of art and the science of medicine!! Her artistic vision and medical knowledge enables her to predict the look and envision the result of a piercing before even touching the skin.
For medical visit
we are contracted with medicare and most of the PPO insurances.